Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

I waited months for this game to come out in English because I loved Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor. The story was gripping, the battles was turn based, and your actions really determine your end. I was utterly disappointed by this game, I played about 3 hours of this game before I had to put it down. I kept saying to myself, "remember the 1st game, do it for the epic story."


First off Strange Journey is not turn based, it is a dungeon crawler. At first I was put off by this because I love turn based strategy games, but I swallowed my dislike and continued on. Next I found out that there was on demon action like Devil Survivor, but you must recruit demons by TALKING to them. T-A-L-K-I-N-G, like a full conversation, if your alignment is not right, you cannot even talk to the demon. When I say alignment I mean Dungeon and Dragons alignment, Lawful-good, neutral-chaos, etc.


The part of this game that I hated the most was the conversations because without them, you could not recruit demons. You need to pass 2 rounds of conversation with a demon before you can even attempt to recruit them. If the demon does not like your answer, they will end the conversation and either leave the battle or attack you. Oh, and if they end the conversation, you can't talk to them again in that battle, you must search for them again. If, you answer both questions correctly, and ask them to join you, you must pay them, but they don't only want money. Demon's are greedy little bastards, they will ask for money, then HP, then MP, then money again, and if they're not satisfied, they will ask for one of your recovery items. Complete Bullshit! You should not have to go through all that to get a God Damn Demon!

If they had kept the game turn based and had the demon auction, then the player would had been able to enjoy the story, which started off kind of preachy. Enough of this rant, I feel like playing Devil Survivor again. Off to beat it for the 4th(?) time.
Category: 0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment